The stock-take was completed last week and an Initial Assessment Report on the Library was sent to the Headmaster and my Line Manager, Mr Haddon. This will enable us to have a baseline against which to measure the future development of the Library.
This week, I am continuing with the following things:
- Assessing and weeding all stock
- Cleaning, repairing and re-cataloguing remaining stock
- Designing and printing new guiding and signage
- Beginning to plan displays – particularly with Open Morning in mind
- Getting to know staff and pupils
- Developing the Library Online Website
The Library is now open at lunchtimes as well as after school for all pupils – see previous post. A small collection of magazines has been started. I am also planning how to involve the pupils as Library Helpers – note not Librarians!
Now, I also have to think about how to promote the services of the Library and especially this website – more on that soon!
These are the main things that are happening in the Library this week:
- Stock-take all resources – finished at end of week
- Begin to assess and weed all stock
- Clean, repair and re-catalogue stock
- Continue to get to know staff and pupils
- Write an Initial Assessment Report to establish a baseline against which to measure future developments – finished at end of week
Over the coming weeks and months, I will post regularly to show the planning stages that we are going through to create the new Library.
Week 1 onwards
Establish a baseline for future assessment:
- Take an inventory of all furniture and equipment – done
- Stock-take and count all resources – started, continue next week
- Take statistics from the Library Management System to assess past borrowing – next week
- Try to work out previous patterns of use – next week
- Photograph library – done
In addition, I have begun the process of learning the Eclipse 2 Library Management System, addiing on new students and updating existing recrods. I have also tried to get to know the staff and students!
Altogether a steep learning curve – but very enjoyable!
These photos show the Library on the 1st September 2008. I will continue to post photos to show how we are progressing in our development of the new Library.
The main entrance to the Library
The Librarian's desk
Looking towards the main entrance of the Library
To see more photos – have a look at our collection on Flickr: