We are now getting nearer to the development of the library in the Summer Holidays! The whole thing will start at May Half Term, when the partition between the Library and Room 8 will be removed and also the current shelving and some furniture. All of the resources and equipment will be boxed up and the Librarian re-located to Room 9 until the new Library is ready! The main work will begin at the very start of the Summer Holidays.
There has been a lot done in two terms and it is again time to look at how far we have progressed:
(1) Establish a baseline for future assessment – complete
(2) Learn how to use the Eclipse 2 Library Management
(3) Start to get-to-know the school community and systems
- Attend staff meetings, special events and assemblies – on-going
- Talk to staff and students both formally and informally – on-going
- Begin to recruit and train Student Library helpers - see above. Small number recruited – learning essential systems in readiness for Autumn Term opening.
- Deliver a presentation to the whole school in assembly – done
(4) Library management and administration:
- Library Procedures Manual setting out all library administrative systems – on-going
- Library Handbook gathering evidence of the Library and Librarian’s impact on teaching and learning in the school – on-going
- Monitoring reports for the Senior Management and Governors – on-going
(5) Library resources:
- Weed, re-catalogue, clean, mend and label Fiction stock – done
- Weed, re-catalogue, clean, mend and label Non-Fiction stock – almost finished!
- Begin to purchase new stock items after consultation with staff and students – will continue towards end of Summer Term and during Summer Holidays
- Put up new signage and guiding – done. Note – this will be removed when Library dismantled at May Half Term. New signage will be designed for Library when ready.
(6) Library use and impact on curriculum:
- Re-organise physical layout of tables etc – done
- Open at lunchtimes and after school – every day
- Publicise Reading Champions group and begin meetings – done. New Reading Champions Wiki being developed in conjunction with students to allow them to discuss their reading with each other.
- Library Induction for Year 6 students – took place on the afternoon of International Day – very successful according to student feedback
- Helping students and staff to choose suitable reading material – developing
- Supporting students and staff with range of research queries – developing
(7) Library development:
- Attend relevant planning meetings – on-going
- Liaise with school staff to support co-ordination of the project – on-going
- Continuing to develop a wish-list for the development – on-going
- Plan a series of visits to other suitable school libraries – on-going
- Open discussions with suitable library furnishing companies – done
- Consult with school community – on-going
- Survey students – done – Year 7-13 Survey see results and comments/feedback, Year 6 Survey see results, comments and feedback
- Create plan for library as a result of these consultations - on-going. Plan mainly finalised, but there will be some “tweaks” over the coming weeks
- Library shelving and furnishing suppliers chosen – done
(8) Use of ICT and developing technologies:
- Create the Library Online website – done
- Continue to develop the site to be a support for teaching and learning in the school – on-going
- Development of wiki for Reading Champions Group - started, but awaiting feedback from students